| Recipe of the Week
Posted by Elizabeth- Commercial Drive Sales Associate on 5/29/2012
to Aromatherapy 101
After Sun Treatment
So now that people are flocking to the beaches its a good time to look at our After Sun Treatment. This treatment can be used once a week throughout the summer to restore skin even if there is no visible damage. If this is being used to treat a sun burn youll want to apply it three to four times a day to clean skin. This will reduce pain, inflammation, and help to quickly restore skin.
Lavender is really great for calming inflamed skin and is anti-biotic and anti-septic. It also reduces skin damage such as sunspots, sunburns, and scars. Bergamot works as a toning agent and serves to cool the skin, it also calms irritated skin. Rosewood is soothing and works as a tissue regeneration bringing forth healthy skin. Chamomile Blue is deeply soothing for dry skin and helps to reduce inflammation and pain which makes it a great oil to have in the summer months.
Aromatherapy Spring Cleaning with Essential Oils
is finally here! With the start of the season comes the urge to give
your home a fresh start with spring cleaning. And what better way to put
a little spring into your home than with the smells and benefits of
nature's essences, essential oils.
I find that when I infuse my home with natural scents as spring comes
into full bloom, my family becomes more eager to get outside and enjoy
nature to its fullest.
Here are a few ways to use essential oils in your spring cleaning line-up:
- Vacuuming. Add 1-2 drops of anti-bacterial lavender or geranium essential
oil into your vacuum bag to keep it fresh and to diffuse the scent into
the air as you clean. For bagless vacuums, add the drops to a tissue
and put it into the collection receptacle.
- Surface Cleaner. Create your own multi-surface disinfectant spray to use on any surface, sink and counter.
- Drawer Fresheners. There's nothing like putting on fresh smelling clothing! Put one of our aromatherapy bath bombs into your drawers to give them a nice, fresh scent of your choice.
- Dishwashing.To add fragrance or to improve the antiseptic action of your liquid soap , add several drops of essential oils like spruce, pine, lemon, bergamot, and orange. You can also add a few drops of these oils to dishwasher to help disinfect and purify it.
- Carpet Deodorizer. Whether you're removing smells from pets, cigarettes or cooking, you can make your own essential oil carpet deodorizer easily freshen and sanitize your carpets.
- Window Cleaner. Get your windows squeaky clean without the sour smell of commercial sprays with this essential oil window cleaner you can make yourself.
- Yoga Mat Spray. Is your stinky yoga mat keeping you achieving inner peace? Create your own essential oil yoga mat spray to disinfect it, giving it and you a fresh start.
- Air Fresheners. There are a number of ways to freshen the air in your home. Our favourite is to use ultrasonic diffusers to
purify your air and disperse the beneficial scents of essential oils
throughout your home. For convenience (and because everyone in my family
likes different scents!), I have a diffuser in all the main rooms of
our home. Another option is essential oil reed diffusers,
which passively disperse oils into the air. They're great for
bathrooms! Or if you want to combine that with a spray for "when you
need it", try getting one of our essential oil air freshener spray with a matching scent. If you like to combine fragrance with candle effects, try our aromatherapy soy candles.
My favourite essential oil blends for the spring are ones that remind me of flowers in bloom. Try Love (with Rose and Jasmine), Wild Gardenia (with Ylang Ylang and Jasmine), and Lavender Meadow (with Lavender & Orange). I also really like refreshing blends that smell like the clean, outdoors like Air (with Cedarwood & Spearmint), Coast (with Lavender & Frankincense), Breeze (with Bergamot & Oakmoss) and Green Forest (with Lime & Basil).
you have any special ways of cleaning using essential oils? Which are
your favourite essential oils and blends for the spring?
Get Creative! Custom Blending at Home
Guide to Blending at Home
fun and experiment with our Aroma Blends and therapeutic grade
essential oils to create your own products at home. Download our Essential Oil Guide to Wellness
to read about oils that pair well together for physical or
physiological benefits. Follow the steps below to custom scent any
carrier oil or unscented base:
- Choose any unscented product.
- Choose one or more of our Aroma Blends or Essential Oils.
- Add approximately 45 drops of aroma to 250 ml of unscented product.
- Shake, stir and enjoy your custom scented product!
Add the recommended amount of drops of aroma to the product.
Remember, you can always add more fragrance but you cannot take it away
once it's been added. When blending with pure Essential Oils please be sure to check safety data and contraindications. Click here to read any contraindications that might apply to the oils you've selected for your custom blend.
One of Our Favourite Recipes for Summer
100 ml Carrier Oil
Grapefruit - 40 drops
Lemon - 30 drops
Juniper Berry - 15 drops
Cypress - 15 drops
Usage: Add to bath or massage
in a circular motion into legs and torso to help reduce and alleviate
the symptoms of cellulite by increasing circulation.
Essential Oil Dilution GuideAll essential oils must be diluted first into a base carrier, with the exception of Lavender and Tea Tree. See the chart below for guidelines as to how much essential oil to use based on the volume of an unscented product or base carrier.
||Number of Drops of Essential Oil|
|Amount of Unscented Product
||Babies / Children / Elderly, Fragile / Pregnant Women
||General Scenting / Pleasure
||Psycho-Emotional / Therapeutic
||Intense / Localized|
|5 ml (1/6 oz)
|15 ml (1/2 oz)
|30 ml (1oz)
|50 ml (1 1/2 oz)
|60 ml (2 oz)
|100 ml (3 1/2 oz)
|125 ml (4 oz)
|250 ml (8 oz)
|500 ml (16 oz)
- 30 ml = 1 oz
- 20 drops essential oil = 1 ml
- 1000 ml = 32 oz = 1 litre
- 100 drops essential oil = 5 ml = 1 tsp = 1/16 oz
- 4000 ml = 128 oz = 1 gallon
- 350 drops essential oil = 15 ml = 1 tbsp = 1/2 oz
Escents Says Happy Mother's Day
At Escents, we love our Moms! We love them so much, we wanted you to know how much we appreciate them for all that they've done for us. Here's a little video of our Escents staff explaining why they love their Moms, just in time for Mother's Day!
Escents at EPIC-The Sustainable Living Expo
Escents will be at the EPIC-The Sustainable Living Expo, this weekend, May 11th-May 13th! Please come by and visit us at booth 2519 and enter to win a daily draw, sample a custom blended lotion and get to know the Escents founder, Jacqui MacNeill!
Check out our District Manager, Lisa, blending her favorite lotion!
Visit us at EPIC and learn all about our custom blending program.
| Subscribe to Posts
Natural Skin Care
From Jacqui's Desk