|Essential oils are extracted from the flowers, leaves, fruits, peel, seeds, woods, barks or roots. There are hundreds of essential oils, each with unique properties and characteristics. They are highly volatile and evaporate easily and so are readily absorbed by the skin.
Many personal care products contain essential oils that have been blended for their therapeutic properties, and not just their scent. Following is a list of ten of the most popular and versatile essential oils used in skin care.
- Lavender: A highly versatile oil with charming and soothing properties, lavender relaxes mind and body. Lavender reduces inflammation and aids healing. It can be applied undiluted to small areas of skin; dab on spots and insect bites to speed healing.
- Bergamot: This sweet scented citrus oil has calming and uplifting effects. It reduces oiliness and treats acne and spots.
- Mandarin: Mandarin is ideal for use on children and during pregnancy. It helps promote cell regeneration and prevents stretch marks in pregnancy. It is used to treat oily skin conditions, including acne, and can be applied directly to blackheads.
- Rosemary: This oilís stimulating and rejuvenating effects help alleviate stress-related disorders, such as nervous exhaustion, and can ease headaches. It stimulates circulation to the scalp, reduces oiliness in the hair and scalp, and help relieve dermatitis, psoriasis and dandruff.
- Sandalwood: Suitable for all skin types, is long lasting, exotic and sensuous. Helps to calm and focus senses.
- Ylang Ylang: Good for all skin types, but especially for oily, congested, inflamed or irritated skin.
- Myrrh: This is one of the oldest scents known. It has refining and soothing properties, is ideal for mature complexions and helps to heal infected, cracked or chapped skin.
- Rose Geranium: Its heady aroma of sweet roses has a calming and revitalizing effect on the senses. Suitable for use on all skin types, it balances sebum production and helps heal inflamed skin.
- Roman Chamomile: Used for treating eczema, dermatitis and psoriasis, spots and acne and to heal wounds without scarring.
- Neroli (Orange Blossom): Great for all skin types and ages, but particularly mature skin. It tones the complexion and reduces thread veins.
Learn more about using essential oils for skin care with our Hair & Skin Care Solution Finder.
NOTE: Essential oils should be diluted before applying to skin to avoid irritation. Use Escents' Unscented Products to create custom skin care.